Carrot plumcake is really toothsome. It is one of the recipes I like the best, because it is easy, fast to make and it perfectly fits a healthy good breakfast.
Write down the ingredient list and try to make it, you won’t regret!
What does carrot cake or plumcake taste like?
It is a fluffy, soft, sweet, moist cake. Yes, it is sweet, it tastes carrots, but it is not sickening because of lemon and orange juice. Replace almonds with nuts, or walnuts for a more delicate flavor.
Are carrots good for you?
Raw carrots are a good source of beta carotene, potassium, vitamin C, B6, acid folic, minerals and magnesium. Moreover, they must be chewed for long time (it may happen when you preparare carrot plumcake), they also have diuretic, and tonic effects on the body. When cooked, they still provide you with plenty of minerals, but they lose some vitamins.
What is carrot plum cake made of?
This is what you need to make a toothsome carrot cake:
- Fresh carrots: choose compact and bright orange ones. If the greens have not been cut out, they must be fresh and bright green; do not use sprouting and wilted carrots to bake this cake.
- Eggs: they must be very fresh, with unattached shell.
- Seed oil, or olive oil (extra virgin olive oil does fit this recipe because it has got a too persistent and strong taste) is delicate and scented. Choose high-quality oil, which is resistant to the high temperature in the oven.
- Flour type 1 or 0: they are rustic and make the cake pleasantly coarse; use wholesome flour, for a stronger taste.
- Orange and lemon: they give the cake a pleasant taste, and balance its sweetness.
- Shell fruit flour: you’d rather buy the flour, than grind the shell-fruit yourself: if the blades of the blender get too hot, polyunsaturated fatty acids will be released and the cake will smell and taste unpleasant.
- Vanilla extract: using vanilla extract-put a teaspoon into the dough, is much easier and faster than vanilla beans, anyway the latter are far more flavorful. A delicious scent will spread all around your kitchen when you bake the cake.
Does carrot cake have raisins?
Why not? My recipe does not want any raisins, but let’s set the imagination free.
Is carrot cake healthier than regular cake?
Carrot cake is different. So sweet and sugary, you can’t resist it, but one or two slices per day is a reasonable serving.
It perfectly fits a healthy breakfast, which consists of a baked product and a cup of milk, coffee, or tea in Italy. The nutritionist’s advice: add some fruit as well; you will get plenty of energy and you will feel satisfied until lunchtime.
The combination of ingredients in my carrot cake keeps the glycemic index low thanks to the good fats of the almonds, the polyunsaturated fatty acids of the seed oil, and the fibers of the carrots; you may increase the content of fibers by adding oat flour: it regulates the intestinal transit, provides Vitamin A (heat resistant) and it is very rich in mineral salts such as magnesium and potassium.
If you want to cut down on sugar, halve the quantity.
Deliciously citrus scented plumcake with carrots and almonds
- 220 gr
flour type 1 or 0 (Strong bread flour or Plain flour)
- 170 gr sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200 gr carrots
- 100 gr
finely ground almonds (or nuts, pecan nuts)
- 70 ml seed oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag baking powder
- 1 orange
(with thin skin and very juicy, if possible)
- 1 lemon
- 20 gr oat bran
(extra, only if you want to increase the amount of fibers of the cake)
- Beat sugar and eggs in a food mixer or with the whisk until light. I prefer the whisk to a spatula or a spoon because it combines the ingredients more evenly. The batter results quite liquid before cooking
- In this order, gradually, pour oil, lemon and orange juice, and vanilla extract.
- Add the finely grated carrots and the almond flour you have bought (be careful, if you grind the almonds yourself, they may get bitter). Finely grate the carrots just before adding them to the batter to prevent them from darkening.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add it to the wet mixture is absorbed. Combine the ingredients until a smooth batter.
- Whisk all the ingredients very well to avoid any flour clumps, on the sides of the bowl as well.
- Pour evenly into a buttered plum cake mold. You may replace butter with a sheet of parchment paper: take a piece of paper, crumple and put it under running water. When it is completely soaked, wring it out and line the baking pan. It will stick better. You may use a plum cake mold (25cm X 10cm) or a round baking pan (diameter 22 cm). Do not worry: the batter has to be quite liquid -it will thicken in the oven and the leavening process will be perfect.
- Pre-heat the static oven at 180°and bake for 45 minutes: do not open the door until the end. Make the toothpick test: insert it into the cake. If it comes out clean it is ready; if not, bake the cake for some minutes more; make the test again before switching off the oven.
How do you know when carrot cake is done?
- According to these quantities, the cake will be done in about 45 minutes; if you look through the oven door (without opening it) you will notice:
- A thin crust will appear on the surface of the liquid batter;
- The surface will start to darken;
- After 15 minutes in the oven, the leavening process will begin;
- The crust on the surface will be broken by the steam produced inside the cake.
- These pieces of information are not enough to know whether the cake is done or not, so, when the cooking time is almost over, opens the oven and make the toothpick test: insert a long toothpick (the ones you use for the skewers) into the cake. If it comes out clean it is ready; if not, bake the cake for 5-10 minutes more.
- When ready, switch the oven off, open the door, and let the cake cool down in the oven evenly and slowly.
How can you store the carrot cake?
Carrot cake can be store in a cake container at room temperature for 4-5 days. It may get a little dry, but it will remain toothsome, anyway.