Do you have a few zucchini and some basil in your fridge? Let’s prepare a succulent puréed soup with this wonderful summer vegetable.
This vegetarian recipe is fast and easy to prepare
Even if you are not very experienced at cooking, try making this recipe. You will be satisfied with the results. It’s easy, takes little time to cook, and produces an amazing soup with few calories.
A typical recipe for the end of the summer, this puréed soup is a tasty way to cook zucchini, which have gotten too big. Don’t throw them away as this is about zero waste!
My recipe consists of both vegetables and a few fat proteins from milk and Parmigiano cheese, both of which make this puréed soup thicker and richer.
Make this recipe is also for special occasions
I made it for a very special occasion, my first dinner date with my husband-to-be. I planned to use special effects to surprise him, and I must admit that it was a great success. After he said, “The flavors were combined so harmoniously that every single ingredient was beautifully hidden in a delicious magical potion.”
Choose the right ingredients
These are a few simple guidelines to choose the best ingredients. You will find them easily in any supermarkets or even open-air markets:
- Zucchini: I prefer dark green ones over yellow. Look for ones that are at least 7-9” long (20-25 cm) as they are more flavorful.
- Basil leaves: The smaller ones are more delicate and richer in essential oils. They gently enhance the taste of your puréed soup. If you don’t have a small plant in your kitchen, buy a bunch of basil and remove and clean the smallest leaves. Wrap the rest in aluminum foil and freeze.
- Parmigiano Reggiano is the aged cheese par excellence, it comes from Emilia Romagna, but it is one of the most imitated in the world. Buy only the real Parmigiano Reggiano with a crust that shows the mark of origin: DOP. You can usually find it vacuum-packed in dairy cases at the supermarket. You should buy a wedge of Parmigiano and grate it yourself. Its taste will be richer, and your soup will be deliciously creamy.
- 2% milk replaces cream to cut down on fats.
Light zucchini pureed soup with basilHave you got a few zucchini and some basil in your fridge? Let’s prepare a succulent pureed soup with zucchini.PrintServings 2 people
- 2 cups of zucchini, cut into cubes (leave the skin on) 200g
- a small bunch of basil
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmigiano cheese (40g)
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 cup of 2% milk
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cut the zucchini into coarse chunks. Rinse and gently pat dry the basil leaves with a tea towel;
- Fill a stockpot with 1 quart (1dl) water, 1 quart (1dl) milk, a teaspoon of salt, and bring to a rolling boil. Then add the zucchini chunks, cover with a lid, and boil over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Be careful as the milk may boil, over, so leave the lid askew;
- Turn the heat off, add the basil leaves, the butter, and the Parmigiano;
- Blend into a smooth soup with an immersion blender;
- Serve it very hot with a little toasted rustic bread.
Some suggestions for you:
- Do you want to freeze it? Yes, of course, but eat it within 3-4 weeks.
- The best part of the zucchini is the skin, so do not peel them.
- If you want a thicker soup, consider using only milk (instead of water), or boil it without the lid as the liquid will evaporate.