Table of Contents
Is there anything more delicious and comforting than a bowl of warm, creamy potato and leek soup? There are very few ingredients, which makes this a perfect dish on cold winter days. Taste it, and you will agree.
5 good reasons to make this puréed soup
I’ll tell you only 5, but there are many more:
- It is easy; you just have to clean leeks well and peel and dice the potatoes;
- It is a vegetarian, light, and super easy meal to digest;
- It always comes out tasty even if you are not a top chef;
- It is ready in a very short time, so very busy people can prepare it;
- Everyone will like it from the first spoonful; try it for a special dinner too.
Is that enough to put the ingredients on your shopping list? I think so.
When is this soup recommended?
It is a first course in Italy. It contains a significant quantity of potatoes, so you should have it for dinner with meat or fish and an abundant serving of fresh vegetables. If a bowl of creamy soup doesn’t make you feel completely sated, combine it with a fresh green salad.
Choose the best ingredients.
Is there any butter and milk in your fridge? That’s good. I am sure salt and pepper are in your pantry. Well, what’s missing? Leeks and some potatoes (you may have them in your pantry, as well) and a sprig of fresh thyme (a dried one is ok). If you can’t find fresh thyme, substitute it with some fresh parsley or chives.
Croutons? Make them in a very short time from some stale bread.
Leeks? Buy straight crispy untouched shiny green ones. Put them into the fridge as soon as you get home; they will stay fresh for a few weeks. Do you know that also you can wash them, cut them into rings and freeze them?
We talked about potatoes here when we prepared mashed potatoes.
Oh no! You have forgotten to buy the croutons, so what can you do now?
No worries; the solution is right under your nose. I am sure you have some stale bread in your pantry. Do you have a loaf that is no longer fresh? If so, cut 3-4 slices into ½ inch (1cm) cubes and heat 1 Tbsp olive oil (about 15ml) with a Tbsp of butter. When they sizzle and foam, add the cubes and cook them until golden and crunchy. Use a slotted spoon and transfer them onto a paper-towel-lined plate.
You may also bake them. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. spread the oiled cubes onto a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish. Bake them for about 4 minutes, turn them over halfway through, and bake them for another 4 minutes until they are golden brown and crisp. They will be very tasty.
Can you freeze this soup?
As the soup keeps only 1 or 2 days in the fridge, freeze it in single-serving containers. One day’s effort will provide you with other pleasing lunches or dinner.
Potato and Leek Soup- a Comfort Food
- 3 cups potatoes (500g)
- 3 leeks
- 2 1/4 cups milk (500ml)
- 4 cups water (1 litre)
- 4 tbsp butter (60g)
- 1 (4-inch) sprig of fresh thyme (or parsley or about 10 chives stalks chopped)
- Croutons (from 3-4 slices of stale bread)
- Salt and pepper
- Extra ingredients to make your soup even more toothsome: almond shavings, diced toasted bread, 50g of cream or some grated Parmesan cheese
- Clean, wash, dry and cut leeks into rings;
- Peel, wash, dry and cut potatoes into cubes;
- In a large pot, melt 2 Tbsp (30g) of butter, then add the leeks and washed thyme. Sauté them over high heat and stir with a wooden spoon. If you opt for parsley or chives, add them at the end of the cooking;
- Pour in about 1 liter (4 cups) of water; add a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper;
- Bring it to a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes; partially cover the pot;
- Meanwhile, simmer the milk for a few minutes;
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender until creamy;
- Pour in the warm milk; bring it to a boil again; let simmer for a few minutes and turn off the heat;
- Remove it from the heat and add the remaining 2 Tbsp (30g) of butter,
- Serve it warm with croutons; for more flavor, sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- When finished eating, divide the cooled soup into small serving containers and freeze.
A special variation
You may replace potatoes with about 800g of zucchini to your taste. Cut zucchini into cubes and cook them with the leek according to the recipe above. Replace the milk with vegetable broth.