Super easy apple cake: 5 genuine simple ingredients: milk, flour, sugar (little), eggs and apples.
Those who prefer not very sugary tastes will love this apple cake! Well, read all the recipe …it will you make droll.
Here in Italy, we are in quarantine, so we can’t leave our houses, save emergencies. Some days ago it was my father in law’s birthday and I wanted to make him a nice surprise, so I baked a delicious cake with a few ingredients I had in my pantry. I came up with this idea while I was leaving through a magazine and stopped at a traditional recipe from Trentino, where we are used to spending our holiday: unpolluted area, breath-taking landscapes, you will love this place even if you are not fond of the mountains. I have always opted for the seaside, but after a few hours among those rocky and fascinating mountain tops, I got so fascinated that I would never come back home.
Trentino the ideal place for relaxing summer holidays
People in Trentino are friendly, very kind and helpful. They welcome you in their hotels as they were at their own homes, they make you experience the real life at the mountain, you become part of the family. They never exaggerate, they are helpful, but never obliging, or annoying, they are sincerely respectful and hospitable.
This cake is as simple as people from Trentino, as genuine as their attitude and lifestyle.
I have looked into the story of this recipe, and it is similar to a cake which used to be called “Torta Simona Trentina” and it was combined with a cabbage salad…yes you have read well! Cabbage salad! It was not very sweets, so it could pair well also savory food, best with potatoes instead of apples.
What does this unusual but simple cake taste like?
It is sweet, but not too much; it perfectly fits a healthy and tempting breakfast, or any time you want to surprise you guests. It is also an appreciated present for those who are on a low calorie diet. It tastes like pleasantly chewy custard. Prepare this cake in the evening, warm it for a toothsome breakfast: you will be able to enjoy all its full fragrancy. “Tortel”, that’s its name, pairs well with fruit; I am sorry but it doesn’t fit milk and chocolate much.
Trentino traditional milk and apple cake without baking powder
- 480g (or 500ml) whole or half skimmed milk (lactose intolerant may use lactose free milk)
- 200 gr flour (it is up to you) best choice: plain flour or all-purpose flour
- 50 gr caster sugar
- 3 L or XL eggs
- 2 Renetta or Golden apple (pears may fit well too)
- 2 tbs cane sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- organic lemon zest
- Use a whisk to beat the eggs;
- Add the sugar and beat well to favor the rising process;
- Sift in the flour, then add a pinch of salt, and the lemon zest; stir until perfectly incorporated without any lumps;
- Gradually pour the milk and beat just until well combined;
- Line a 9 inch spring from baking pan with parchment paper;
- Peel and coarsely dice the apples,
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and the diced apples; the batter is quite liquid, so the apple dices might sink to the bottom, do not worry, it is ok. They texture will change when baked.
- Pre heat the static oven at 180°C (356°F) and bake for about 35 minutes;
- After 35 minutes, quickly open the oven and evenly sprinkle the cake with cane sugar; bake for other 5 minutes in fan oven;
- Let the cake cool down in the oven with the door slightly open;
- It may flatten when you take it out of the oven; it is ok. The edges should be crispy and lightly burnt: that’s the tastiest part of the cake!
The apple and milk cake keep up to 2 or 3 days in a cake container at room temperature, but you will eat it up much earlier!