Italian Baci di dama (Lady’s kisses), nice and toothsome cookies. What are those? Two wonderful hazelnut cookies sandwiched together with a thin layer of solidified dark chocolate.
They resemble to two lips intent on giving a kiss, hence their name.
A delicacy you could not do without any more. Believe me!
This is the perfect recipe to bake special cookies for your sweetheart. Made of two parts which are held together by a tender chocolate hug, they are the symbol of love.
Baci di dama are perfectly paired with tea, or a good cup of coffee in every moment of the day. They are also surprisingly easy and fast to prepare.
These cookies come from a small town in Piedmont, my region, Tortona. They used to be made only with hazelnuts, now you may encounter several versions (with almonds, or chocolate, for instance). They are toothsome crunchy cookies which, as kisses, are quite addictive. What do you think about them?
How can you make perfect baci di dama
- Opt for fresh scented intact hazelnuts. I buy them at the supermarket, and I prefer flour to whole ones, because the blades of the mixer may heat the hazelnuts too much: hence an unpleasant soul taste.
- If you can’t find hazelnuts flour, follow this method: place the hazelnuts onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and toast them in oven at 180°C (356°F) for about 10 minutes or until light golden (they must not get brown). Let them cool down completely. Then put the hazelnuts into the bowl of a mixer with sugar and a pinch of salt. Pulse gently not to heat the mixture too much: when hot, the hazelnuts release some oil, and the flour get sour. Let sit for a few minutes;
- Good quality butter: the cookies must be buttery, so opt for high quality butter from organic cow’s milk;
- I do like dark chocolate because it balance the sweet taste of the hazelnut cookies, anyway, you may melt dark chocolate with milk one to your taste; when it solidifies it will hold together the small cookies;
- Do not bake these cookies too much, otherwise they will get hard. Do move away from the oven, and look out for their color; they must not become brown;
- If you carefully follow the method, the cooking times and the quantity of the ingredients, your cookies will turn into perfect semi-spheres: they won’t flatten, or crack.
This is my recipe of the Baci di Dama cookies. It is super-easy and you will make an excellent impression. I often give them as special present. Have a try yourself and let me know about the result.
Of course, this is not a low-calorie recipe, but occasionally, you may allow yourself something delicious to share with your family and friends.
Italian Hazelnut cookie with dark chocolate (Lady’s kisses)
- 120 gr
ground toasted skinned hazelnuts
- 120 gr sugar
- 120 gr butter
- 150 gr flour
Dark or m milk chocolate to taste
- In a mixing bowl, mix the hazelnuts, the sugar, and the softened butter (be careful: it must not be melted) until the dough is smooth and hold together.
- Wrap it into clingfilm and let it stand in the fridge for about one hour-when solid, it is easier to shape;
- Then divide the dough into walnut-size balls and place them on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper. If you make too big baci di dama, they won’t cook evenly in the oven-raw and chewy inside, burnt outside. Good cookies are crunchy inside and outside.
- Now the most difficult part. Take a thick surface such as a cutting board and press the hazelnuts balls onto it in order to flatten one surface.
- Bake in static oven at 170°C (338°F) for about 15 minutes;
- In the meanwhile, gently melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Now, you are ready to make the cookies: put a dollop of chocolate on the flat surface of a cookie- you may use a teaspoon, or a pastry bag, then place another cookie on the top. Put the baci di dama on a wire rack and let the, cool down before serving;
- It is too hot, put them into the fridge to cool down.
How you can store baci di dama
You can store cookies alone, without filling in a fresh dry place in an airtight container up to 1 week. They may be frozen up to a month.
Wrapped into nice paper, they are a pleasant gift for a special person, a friend. Why don’t you prepare them for a tempting snack with your colleagues? Put them into a nice tin, closed with a ribbon: a lovely kindness which makes the difference.
The dough can be frozen: divide the it into small balls, place them onto a tray: Make the balls solidify in the freezer and transfer into plastic bags. Store up to 2 months.
Unusual toothsome baci di dama
You may replace hazelnuts flour with almond one, or mix them!
PS. I first prepared these delicious cookies biscuits with the recipe; I cooked them for my husband: we had just met…well the result is guaranteed!