Table of Contents
I will tell you a secret. It’s a straightforward method to prepare a beef stock to die for. Believe me, this is a quick recipe for simply delicious meat stock. So forget spending hours and hours preparing the broth. This quick recipe will surprise you with its rich taste in a short time.
Even though you can pick the ready-made stock up at the store, this recipe is easy peasy and is ready to use immediately in your recipe. But making broth can be challenging and time-consuming. Below is a recipe that will both amaze you with its simplicity and produce fantastic results.
It’s called “reverse stock” because you first brown the ingredients (meat and vegetables), add to cold water to activate the flavor, and then add salt. This is the reverse of what is normally done. You will see the colors change instantly from clear water to a dark yellow broth, where you will begin to smell the stock that is being created.
A little trick:
Add a tablespoon of sugar. It will “toast” the meat and vegetables and make the broth tastier. This is the Maillard reaction, which provides a toasted flavor of meat and which will make the broth taste as if it had been cooked for many hours.
This trick will allow you to create new scents and aromas and give a strong flavor to the final results.
You will taste a hint of dried mushrooms and cloves. Of course, you can customize it as you wish for a vegan version, but below is my favorite recipe.
15-minute Beef Stock
- 1-2 lb of beef (750—1 kg)
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot roughly chopped
- 1 small stalk celery trimmed and chopped
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 2 slices of dried porcini or portobello mushrooms
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 2-3 peppercorns
- 1 tbsp of kosher salt
- 3 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil or neutral-tasting oil
- Half glass of white wine or brandy or Marsala wine
- A tsp of sugar
- Cold water to cover (1.5 liters)
- Prepare the vegetables: wash and cut the carrots, celery, and onion into coarse pieces.
- Add the oil to the saucepan and add all the vegetables, dried mushrooms, herbs, and spices.
- Finally, add the meat cut into coarse pieces.
- Turn the gas on high and add the sugar;
- Let the vegetables and the meat brown;
- Stir in the wine and let the alcohol evaporate completely.
- Add cold water, season with salt, and cover with a lid
- Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Before serving, the broth needs to be filtered;
- Use a medium mesh filter to separate the liquid broth from the solid parts;
- This will make it smooth;
- This broth is perfect for the classic Italian stuffed pasta (such as cappelletti).
How to use the leftover meat:
In an Italian kitchen, nothing is wasted, so use the meat to prepare some delicious meatballs. Click on this link for the recipe.